Purple Hills at Sunset

PURPLE HILLS AT SUNSET
DIGITAL WATERCOLOR PAINTING BY DEBRA CHMELINA
SHOP HERE
                                                NEXT                                                                                    BACK

A sailboat silhouettes the tiny island of Lazaretti. Once an island that harbored a Nazi concentration camp, only a couple of buildings and a church remain on the island.

About Lazaretti island

Lazaretti island, formerly known as Aghios Dimitrios island, is located two nautical miles northeast of Corfu; the island has an area of 17.5 acres and comes under the administration of the Greek National Tourist Organization. During Venetian rule in the early 16th century, a monastery was built on the island and a leprosarium established later in the century, after which the island was named. In 1798, during the French occupation, the island was occupied by the Russo-Turkish fleet, who ran it as a military hospital. During the British occupation, in 1814, the leprosarium was once again opened after renovations, and following Enosis in 1864 the leprosarium again saw occasional use. During World War II, the Axis Occupation of Greece established a Nazi concentration camp there for the prisoners of the Greek Resistance movement. On the island today are the two-storied buildings that served as the Headquarters of the Italian army, a small church, and the wall against which those condemned to death were shot.

Lazaretto was named by the Venetians after the leprosarium which operated there. Venetians leprosariums were named “Lazzaretti” after Lazzaretto Vecchio island in Venice, which housed the first venetian leprosarium. Every ship which had Corfu as its destination, was forced to spend forty days in Lazaretto before entering Corfu’s port passing through the process of disinfecting postal items, usually by fumigation. There was also a house for the leper people. In 1798, during the French occupation, the Russo-Turkish fleet ran it as a military hospital. During the British occupation, it was used again as a leprosarium. After the Enosis of 1864, it was used occasionally. During World War II, the Axis established a concentration camp for the prisoners of the Greek National Resistance movement. The wall against which those condemned to death were shot still stands opposite the Agios Dimitrios church.

Source: wikipedia

Web Hosting Companies